Sunday, February 17, 2013

In Another Life

In Another Life
 
I wrapped my arms around him holding him close
His eyes were white with fear
Tears welled and ran down his cheeks
He knew me only as death
He was surprisingly affectionate
 
He whispered confessions to God
I listened with guilt
Pleas for mercy and forgiveness
And gentle sobs as life left his flesh and bones
He felt it too
Frightened, his grip on me grew tighter
As if to tether his soul to my body
 
His passing did not dawdle
His soul would soon ascend
His pulse slowed
His tears cinched to a trickle
His body heaped and slumped
Growing heavier in my arms
His sobbing settled
He looked at me with desperation
A last plea for pardon

 
 
He’s dead.

His carcass lay limp

Blank eyes hollowed of expression

Only skin deep scars will tell his story

The last of his name

No one left to speak of his bliss

No one to speak of his failures

His body will likely rot where I leave him

No comments: